Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Mobile Hut project

In order to present as complete a blog as I can of citizens of the Frontier or at least the left - field, I had better add this reference to the year (2005) when I lived in a 7' by 4' box trailer. My days of hanging out in the ocean are long behind me, and even then I had no desire to live the experience alone. Nowadays I am happy to sit in my hut and look out at it from there. The hut project was partly an exercise in living in as basic and minimalist style as possible, while still being able to engage in a professional business, job or trade profession, and without looking or behaving like a homeless hobo after any length of time; ie its not hard to do for a few days or a week or two, but its worth going through at least 4 seasons in order to get a proper picture. I remember being inspired by Steve's Behemoth bicycle and the Microship vessel, and deciding to do something far more simplistic and bereft of as much gadgetry and mod-cons as possible. Somehow a portable black and white TV still crept in for a while though. I suppose that the modern thing to do would be to set up a website to more fully document the project. I shall add that item into the "Things To Do Real Soon Now" basket.

2 comments:

Steve Dalton said...

Awesome Dave... good on you for blogging it... I liked the pictures - actually looked quite roomy on the inside, looks like you made good use of the space.

David Tangye said...

I certainly made as most of the space as I could. This involved sitting in it, sometimes for a goodly hour or three so I could think it all through. At those times I usually had a goodly hour or three to spare, and nowhere else to be or go to anyway :-). A key requirement was to keep weight to within the 500kg maximum towing weight for my Mitsubishi Mirage. Since the bare trailer plus the plywood shell was 450kg, this left only 50kg for extra fitout including a marine battery and my worldly goods.